Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: When it's good...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

When it's good...


Lately, I've been in a reading funk. I find plenty of books that sound good but I just can't work up the interest to read them. Although I do find the interest to buy them. My TBR stack has turned into a skyscraper.

But I'm trying to get myself back into reading. It does recharge the mental batteries and I need all the help I can get.

It really helped that one of the books I picked up to help myself get defunked was this one. Seraphim by Shelby Reed. Awesome. Plain and simple.

Now I've had it on ebook since it came out, but lately, I don't want to stare at the computer screen, or my pocket PC when I'm reading. So I just never got around to reading it. Then I got the print version. This was what I picked up the night I decided I had to start reading again.

It's a pretty long book for a tradesize paperback, about 350 something pages, I think. Stupid me, I started reading it at like 9pm. When 11:30 rolls around and my eyes started to close on me, I had to set it aside until the next morning. As soon as I dropped kidlets off at their various schools, I devoured the rest of it. I love it when a book grabs onto me and doesn't let go.

Seraphim is a paranormal romance about warrior angels, old evils...love. Some tear jerking moments and some excellent action. It is an erotic romance~but it's not as hmmm...risque as some others. Actually an excellent book to try if you're kind of curious about erotic romance. I'll even link you to an excerpt.

Shelby did an excellent job with the book, and I think it helped bring me out of my reading funk a little. There's several books in my TBR skyscraper that seem to be calling my name and since I beat my deadline, I think I can breathe enough to enjoy them.

Any of you all been in a reading funk? What's brought you out?

9 comments:

Alyssa said...

I love Reed's work and agree that Seraphim is terrific. I have one of her books left to be read, and I don't want to read it yet because I want to savor it. Does that make sense?

Erin McCarthy is another one of those can't miss authors for me.

Shiloh Walker said...

Alyssa, that makes perfect sense.

One of my fave authors has a series but the books release sporadically. So when one of them came out... I bought the day it got to the bookstore, BUT i didn't read it for like six months, not because I didn't want to, but because i couldn't take the wait between that one and the next.

Michelle B said...

I have periods of being in a reading funk. It sure doesn't stop me from buying books, but some times, I just can't sit still and read for whatever reason. Then there are times when I get into a reading frenzy and read multiple books in a day.

Sometimes when I pick up a book that's been around a while and it really moves me, I start wondering why I didn't read it earlier. I even think about how sad it would be had I decided not to buy and read it because the story really touched me in some way.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm not quite able put how I feel into words.

Michelle

Kelley Nyrae said...

I havent experienced a reading funk yet. I need it too much. I need that little vacation from everyday life that I get every time I open a book. No matter what is going on, I try to always give myself some time to read. Even if it is only for 15 minutes that day. I take whatever I can get.

Shiloh Walker said...

sigh... lucky you, kelley.

Michelle... yes, that made perfect sense. i been there done that.

i prefer the frenzy.

felinewyvern said...

I have been lucky enough never to get into a reading funk but I have had lots of what I call 'dry spells' where I have been unable to get new books to read. Like many others I am always loathe to start a new book in a series, as with the speed I read, it makes the wait for the next one so much longer :(

Stacy~ said...

Unfortunately it does happen time to time. Usually I try to read something funny or one by an all-time fave author. Possibly a re-read might be necessary.

MaryJanice Davidson's "Dead and Loving It" jolted my interest again, which I followed up with one of my fave authors, Lucy Monroe and "And Able", the 3rd in her mercenary trilogy. Sorry to see it end.

I just finished Gena Showalter's "Animal Instincts" and loved it. Very funny book, but sexy and a little poignant too. Everyone should try to find their inner tigress if they haven't already *grin*

I am not reading Emma Holly's "All U Can Eat" Ouch, it's hot! I've learned a lot about myself reading one of her books LOL.

I think I'll have to pick up "Seraphim". I'm always intrigued by a book that gets such a strong reaction.

Wolfy said...

I really don't get into a reading funk, but just don't seem to have enough time to get everything done and that is what suffers then my reading. But then I decided that I should read something and just make time and take a book and start to read it, which puts me back on track again. I am forever buying books and if they are a series I try to wait until I have the whole series before I read them, because I hate to have to wait a long time between books, but if it does happen, I usually end up skimming the books previous to refresh my memory. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

dancechica said...

Wow you guys sound just like me. I get into periods where I just read, read, read, one book after another and then eventually I’ll fall into “the funk”. I think the funk usually starts when I read a really good book that grabs me but then afterwards I can’t find anything else that interests me. *shrugs* I don’t really know why the funk happens I just know that I hate when it does because my book buying impulses don’t fade with my lack of desire to read so I end up with a TBR pile a mile long…*sigh* But most of the time I can wake myself out of the funk by finding something good or by just making myself read a few pages of something until it grabs me. Sometimes this works. :)