Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: Momisms…

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Momisms…



Today is Mother’s Day and even though my mother is gone for almost thirty years now I can still hear her little pearls of wisdom echoing in my brain when the occasion arises. Like when I really really want those new shoes that I don’t exactly need I can hear her whispering in my ear...Any Damn Fool Can Spend Money.
Is that a great way to raise kids or what!
Or other times when I’m shopping (do you see a pattern here?? Shopping!) I think, gee this new purse only costs ten bucks. I can afford ten buck. Then I hear Irma (my mother’s name) say...Take Care Of The Pennies And The Dollars Will Take Care of Themselves.
Then there’s another favorite. When I wouldn’t finish my dinner I’d get...If You Don’t Eat It Today You’ll Get It Again Tomorrow. If I spent too much time reading I’d get...Go Outside And Get The Stink Blowed Off. (lovely!) And the best one of all is...Because I’m the mom and I said so.
I’d like to think I did better by my kids but, alas, nope. If you’d just say to one of my kids Any Damn Fool... They will automatically fill in...Can Spend Money.
So, what are some of pearls of wisdom you mother imparted to you that you can’t get out of your brain no matter how hard you try? Those little sayings that you swore on leftover peas you’d never say to your own kids and did anyway??
Time to fess up!

7 comments:

Wolfy said...

Oh Dianne what a great topic, and as you say there are so many Momisms that come to mind, and alas I am sure I used a lot of them on my kids, and even on my grandkids.

Although there are many some of my most memorable are:

Close the door! You don't live in a barn.
(Even today, when I go over my Mom sometimes will say that, before you even get a chance to close the door)

A little "birdy" told me!
(Do you know that I used to look at the birds with a lot of dislike and think you all are such tattletales)

As long as you live under my roof, you'll do as I say.
(I know I have said that to my kids on occasion as well)

And the all time favorite I am sure we can all relate to:

Don't talk with your mouth full!

DianneCastell said...

Oh, I love all these! parenting in a sentence. :-)
Your mom sounds a lot like mine. Happy Mother's Day!

Kelley Nyrae said...

To tell you the truth, I cant think of any Momisms my mom would say to me. I just feel very blessed that I have a mom that loves me to pieces and has always supported everything I do. She gives me encouragement , a friendly ear, a hug, or a swift kick in the you know what when I need it. Happy Mothers day, ladies!

Stacy~ said...

Oh yeah, there are a few:

-Don't do as I do, do as I say

-This is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you (can also work with dads)

-if you keep making funny faces, your face is gonna stay like that

I know there are more, but do you think I can think of them now...heck no.

Michelle B said...

I can't think of any particular Momism's like these either. My sister and I have our inside joke Mom moments that are memories from family vacations and such.

I think I have more Dad-isms lol. The one I remember most is "You don't know what guys that age are thinking...I do!"

The only other saying from both my parents that used to drive me crazy is:
"It's not you we don't trust, it's everyone else out there."
They'd use this one when we would want to do something and they'd say no...

DianneCastell said...

>>>You don't know what guys that age are thinking...I do!"

Oh, yeah, I think I used that one on my daughters a few times.
Too true. :-)
Dianne

Joni said...

The one that stands out in my mind the most that my mother would spout was: "I hope you have a child just like you!" I never got that lucky...hahaha. My daughter is nothing like me, but then I don't think I'd want to be that ambitious - takes too much energy..hahaha. Another one is "You shouldn't have sex with a man you can't see yourself living with the rest of your life!" Others have been included in what some of the bloggers already replied with..LOL