Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: Interview with Alison Kent

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Interview with Alison Kent


Today's interview is with Alison Kent and as always, the questions were ones I collected from readers.

V&S: What type of research did you have to do for your SG-5 series?

AK: That would depend on each book. For The Bane Affair, I did a lot of research into upstate New York, and had a reader tell me that she lived in the area and felt as if she was reading about her home turf. That was nice. I did the same for The Samms Agenda, learning about the Everglades and Miami.

For The Perfect Stranger, I had to figure helicopter speed, helicopter make/model, and flight time between the northern coast of South America to the U.S. I had maps of Mexico spread out while writing The McKenzie Artifact, and the same for West Texas when writing Larger Than Life. For LTL, I also read a lot about Warren Jeffs and his polygamous followers.

I also research weapons, and am lucky enough to have a source for computer information in both my husband and stepson. Sometimes it can be something as small as the abacus I put into the hands of the villain in The Bane Affair who also suffered from a disease I based on ALS. Once the research is done, I don’t mind taking literary license to fit the story!


V&S: Regarding the SG-5 series, are you sad to see the end of those Hunky guys? Are you going to do another similar series?

AK: I have 3 more books contracted with Brava, and 2 of those will be SG-5 related featuring Simon Baptiste and Finn McClain who both appeared in Deep Breath. After those two, I’m not sure if I’ll do a story for Gideon Martel (another operative who got screen time in Beyond a Shadow and was mentioned briefly in The Samms Agenda), or if I’ll do something new. I’ll figure that out (with the help of my editor) later this year!


V&S: As an avid (rabid?) fan, I'm wondering what role, if any, do your readers play in your writing? Do they motivate you? Drive you crazy? Do you remember comments they make about particular books and/or characters that inspire the molding or development of future books/characters?

AK: I love hearing from fans, but I can’t say I’ve changed anything or molded anything based on reader feedback. I did ask readers if they’d like to read about Finn or Simon next, but then since Simon’s story came to me first, I had to honor the muse! Still, I listen to all of the comments readers make, and probably at some subliminal level do stress the parts of the stories they’ve told me they like, and maybe back off on others!


V&S: What makes a scene sexy?

AK: The unknown. The tension. The waiting. I’ve read a couple of things lately that have just knocked my socks off and given me that bottom-dropped-out-of-the-stomach sensation. Love that!


V&S: What was the inspiration for the SG-5 series?

AK: Oh, the TV show Alias, totally! Fun adventure that’s so far out there it requires a huge suspension of disbelief. But that’s what’s so much fun, making it all about the characters even when the situations might seem implausible. My adventures are pure fantasy just as are vampires and werewolves!

V&S: What are you reading right now?

AK: I’m reading a Silhouette Desire by new author Tessa Radley. I’ll probably grab Holly Black’s Tithe next, then maybe Tami Hoag’s The Alibi Man. I read all over the place!

Thank you, Alison! Guys, Alison is going to drop by the blog at some point on Thursday, so if you have questions of your own...have at it!

9 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Very cool Alison. I enjoy reading about the writing process, and how it's a bit different (or maybe even a lot different) for each writer.

And you'll continue to write for Blaze as well? I enjoy how you match up people who at first seem like an unlikely couple, but deep down they match perfectly.

Any surprises for readers, or some news you'd like to share?

Karen Kelley said...

Hi, Alison! Great that you could make it to the Vamps and Scamps Blog!
Best,
Karen Kelley

Alison Kent said...

Stacy - I hope to have something in the queue at Blaze again soon. I love the adventure I do at Brava, but it's awesome to do the straight relationship books at Blaze. And no surprises or news right now. This is a slow release year, but a busy busy BUSY writing year!

Hi, Karen! Thanks for having me!

Laurie D. said...

Welcome, Alison - great to see you here! Great questions and answers -it's always fun to get a glimpse into the inner workings of a writer's mind - and finding out what's on the agenda!
Thanks for your time!

Jodi said...

Hi Alison!
Glad that you could join us here. Thanks for the interview and gining insight on your writing process.

tetewa said...

Hello Allison, great to have you here. A quick question, what do you like to do on your down time?

Judy F said...

HI Alison thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to get my hands on The Perfect Stranger and pay day is tomorrow...

Hope everything is going well. HOw is the puppy doing?

Alison Kent said...

Hi, all! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Appreciate everyone stopping by! Judy - The pup just went up a tree after a squirrel. She's a hoot. Tetewa - I love to read! I don't get enough time when writing. That and watching movies!

Tessa Radley said...

Gosh, Alison, I'm blown away that you're reading BLACK WIDOW BRIDE!

Thanks :-) Have always enjoyed your Blazes, and I followed you over to BRAVA to keep reading more of your books. I'm with you on not having enough reading time.

::that bottom-dropped-out-of-the-stomach sensation::
And that's the reason I love reading romance. I'm addicted to that sensation!*g*