Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: Sunny's Interview, Part 2

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sunny's Interview, Part 2

and blogger is being screwy and I can't post the pretty cover pic... oh well.

REMEMBER! Anybody that comments or has a question will have a chance at winning a signed book from Sunny!

On to the interview...

What do you have planned besides the Mona Lisa books?

Well, LOL, I’m going to be busy continuing Mona Lisa’s stories for a while. A short novella, Mona Lisa Three, comes out in the January 07 Berkley anthology, OVER THE MOON, headlined by Angela Knight and MaryJanice Davidson. MONA LISA BLOSSOMING will quickly follow in Feb 07. Then MONA LISA CRAVING in 08, and on down the alphabet, MONA LISA DARKENING, etc. Thinking for a title for Mona Lisa X will be quite the challenge, but that will be years from now, thank goodness.

Lucinda, Prince Halcyon’s sister, introduced in my two novellas (A second anthology with Patricia Briggs and Eileen Wilks will be out probably next summer) will spin off her own series next fall in LUCINDA, DARKLY, book one in the DEMON PRINCESS CHRONICLES. Please visit my website www.sunnyauthor.com for excerpts.


I've got to know... is it weird having two authors in the house? I know my husband and I would drive each other nuts if we both wrote. Well, I drive him nuts anyway... ;o)

Actually, it was what allowed me to write. A false belief that, hey, whatever I write, my acclaimed author husband, Da Chen, can “fix up” for me. A totally wrong misconception…what I write is pretty much it. But it allowed me to write out that first draft, blissfully, joyfully. And then I was done. AND I HAD WRITTEN A BOOK! And just doing that…actually writing a book when I’d believed all my life I’d never be able to…gave me the greatest confidence boost.
I’ve always edited Da’s books. And now he edits mine. And it’s great, although, I must confess, a little awkward in the beginning. After reading my first manuscript (Mona Lisa Awakening), he looked up with this dazed and shocked expression on his face and said, “Sunny, you are a naughty, naughty girl.”

LOL, I blushed, but thought it was great. First, because it told me that the love scenes were hot. Second, because I’d never been seen as a naughty girl before...kinda neat, now.

If you want to read more about Sunny's books, check them out here.

I'll post the winner later this week, so make sure you check back. You have to respond via email if your name is drawn. I'll draw a random winner from the comments sometime this week.

Shi
http://www.shilohwalker.com

29 comments:

jennybrat said...

Naughty, naughty, Sunny! LOLOL

Lisa F. said...

That's too funny! I enjoyed both interview parts and have read Hard Stuff with the first Mona Lisa book in my TBR pile. Hard Stuff is great - all the stories.

sharon said...

Your interview has fascinating information. The edit process sounds very efficient. Lucky to have 2 authors who can interact so well.

ellie said...

I look forward to your upcoming books that you have planned. Your schedule looks like you will be very occupied for a good while.

joelle said...

I like the setup with two authors working side by side. I bet that this lifestyle is conducive to success.

pearl said...

Your books sound absolutely fascinating and I wonder where you obtain your inspiration and ideas for these great stories.

Maureen said...

Hi Sunny!

Do you and your husband both write from home? If so do you share an office or do you each have seperate writing areas?1

Jennifer Y. said...

Great interview! Sounds like you have a busy writing schedule.

Tehya said...

Excellent interview!

Cathy said...

What was it like joining up with Angela Knight and MaryJane Davidson for your new Mona Lisa story? Its a big treat for me, who is a fan of all three of you.

Kris said...

Thanks for the interview. Your books look great I will have to go find them.

KarenG said...

I enjoyed the chapters on your website very much!

LISA WILLIAMS said...

Looking forward to you other books.

Shuck Ying said...

Wow, 2 authors in a family. Good going.

Deborah Chan said...

Welcome back Sunny.

kim said...

great interview.sounds good

Stacy~ said...

Wow, I loved hearing about a 2-author household, and shocking your husband must really have been a treat. I love the naughty stuff - your story was my favorite in "Hard Stuff" ;)

Karen W. said...

I enjoyed the interview, and the book sounds great.

Pamk said...

lol How long had you been married? Just wondering if it had been awhile or not?

Pam G said...

Did your Hubby want to act out any of the Hot Sruff? LOL I really enjoyed ready the article and now have your books on my TBR.

Thanks,

Pam G

KimW said...

hahaha! I love the comment from your husband. I read your story in The Hard Stuff and have Mona Lisa Awakening on my TBB list. It sounds great!

Sunny said...

Hi Jenny--Yeah, LOL. Pretty cool being considered naughty at this stage of my life.

Lisa--I'm so glad you liked The Hard Stuff, all 3 stories. My coauthors, Karin Tabke and Bonnie Edwards are great gals as well as very talented writers.

Sharon and Joelle--Yes, we're very lucky to work so well together. He's my reader, critique partner, and first-pass editor all in one. I don't need to go anywhere else. And I've learned so much about how to right from editing Da's books. For one thing, to take your time, paint well with detail...which I certainly took to heart writing the love scenes :)

Sunny said...

Ellie--Yes, I told my husband I'd be happy spending the next ten years writing my Mona Lisa series. The second series, the Demon Princess Chronicles, with luscious Lucinda, Prince Halcyon's sister was an unexpected surprise to me. My editor said, Why don't you write about something else? I wailed and moaned, then came up with the character of Lucinda and said, hmmmm, she's pretty interesting, too.

Pearl--My inspiration for my stories...Well, all my favorite authors that read and re-read, my husband, his books, and the stories he tells me about our Chinese culture. The Chinese people seem to be fascinated with stories about the moon. And stories about ghosts and the living dead. Seems to be in the genes :)

Maureen--Yes, we both write from home. He in his office, and me in the bedroom. We both write in the morning and emerge sometime in the afternoon to play parents, or would that be chauffeur?

Jennifer--Actually not so busy most of the year. No writing actually for several months at a time, then crunch...settle in for a two month stretch writing 4-6 hours a day, six days a week, and I have a book completed. That's the ideal scenario, an un-interupted 2 month block of writing. Of course, real life, especially recently, in far from idea...with stops and starts, then more interruptions. Harder to write then.

Tehya--Thank you, honey. :)

Sunny said...

Cathy--I'm now a big fan of you, LOL. You like Angela Knight, MaryJanice Davidson, AND me. :) It is an amazing privilege to be featured with them talented, talented authors. I just met the two wonderful ladies at RT last year and they are as nice and likeable in person as they are in their books.

Thank you, Kris. For going out to get my books.

And thank you, Kareng. For reading the excerpts on my website.

Lisa--LOL, I'm looking forward to my other books as well. Can't wait for them to come out. The whole process sometimes seems to take so long from writing to publication. And then other times its like, What, it's out already...and I have PROMOTE it now? Yikes.

Shuck Ying--It IS pretty neat having 2 authors in the family. Nicer, definitely nicer being author instead of just author's wife. :)

Deborah Chan--Welcome back, yourself. Thanks for dropping in on both interviews!

Sunny said...

Kim--Thanks. Everyone is so sweet here.

Stacy--After 14 years of marriage, it's nice to be able to still shock your husband every now and then...in this case, every time he reads and edits my stories. And thank you for the sweet things you said about The Hard Stuff...the first novella of mine--what got me sold, won an award for me, and got me on Geraldo At Large and CNBC--is pretty dear to me. So glad you liked it.

Hi Karen--Thanks. I'm enjoying this interview, myself. :) What a nice bunch...and the questions you guys ask, LOL. Making me work. :)

Hi PamK--14 years we've been married. Yup, an old married couple. But life is just great. We're really fortunate to have found ourselves and writing careers we love.

PamG--You are quite a naughty girl yourself, asking that question, LOL. Well...hubby and I don't exactly act out the scenes in The Hot Stuff, but let's just say that our immediate post-editing sessions of my stories are, ummm, quite lively. :)

Sunny said...

KimH--And I love your comment. I hope you enjoy both books. :)

Little Lamb Lost said...

I truly loved your creativity regarding the Monere. The powers and explanations as well as the societal norms really swept me away! Am thrilled that you are planning for it to be a long series!

Minna said...

Can't wait to read all those books!

Sunny said...

Dear Little Lamb. I love saying that. :) Anyone who calls me creative and uses words like "swept away" and "thrilled" are my dear, dear friends. I am so glad you liked it!

Dear Minna. I hope you do, LOL, and hope even more that you enjoy it. :)