Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: Comfort Reads

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Comfort Reads

I was reading over at PBW's blog the other day and 'comfort' reads were mentioned.

A comfort read~ if this ever made it into the dictionary, if would have an entry something like...

comfort read-a tried and true, well loved favorite that a reader seeks out when feeling depressed, blue, mad, pissed, lonely, bored, or otherwise needing a read that she knows she will love and enjoy without even thinking twice.

Okay, so I'm never going to be able to write definitions for Merriam Webster. ;o) But still, you get the idea.

Some of my comfort reads are the Irish Jewels books by Nora Roberts, the Stardoc series by SL Viehl, or when I'm really really feeling down, any of the Heralds of Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey. SL Viehl is my fave among faves-her books almost make me forget what's bothering me. Nora Roberts, the Irish Jewels triology, the same thing. And the Heralds books by Mercedes Lackey, welllll.... they introduced me to fantasy stories back in the early 90's and I've gotten so much enjoyment out of them.

When I'm feeling down, a book will pick me up better than a Movie, chocolate or a glass of wine ever could.

I even manage to sweat out an hour at the gym thanks to good reads. I think I've discovered a new comfort read... Mona Lisa Awakening by Sunny, coming out next month. I actually...*GASP* went over my time on the stair climber and that's unheard for me. I totally forgot about the timer and just kept climbing and reading.

What books pull you away when you desperately need it?

No comments: