Site Meter Vamps and Scamps: Rainy Days and Mondays

Monday, October 24, 2005

Rainy Days and Mondays

And who says I'm not creative??? Okay - so I stole the title from The Carpenters. But the truth is... that's the state of the world here in northeast Tennessee today. When the alarm went off, I asked my hubby why it was so dark outside???

My deep, burning question for today is - "Rainy Days... Good or Bad?" I've debated this topic many times over the years, and I have concluded that it depends on a lot of variables. If you're at the beach - no question - bad! If you're a teacher with a class of rambunctious kids who want to go out to play, rainy days are the pits. Parade Day - bad. Outdoor wedding - bad. Feeling depressed or mopey - bad. Shall I go on....??

But are there "good" rainy days? I venture to say yes... Imagine a warm summer evening... sitting on the porch swing and watching a violent thunder and lightning storm. Sheets of rain blowing across the sky... the unmistakable smell of wet earth and growing things. Nice...

Or how about cuddling under an umbrella with that special guy and walking the streets of a fascinating city... Seattle, London, New York, or even your own home town.

Who can resist curling up with a long-awaited book and diving in while the rain pours down outside your window...

Ans of course, weather can play a huge part in setting the mood for romance. A noisy, scary storm for a passionate love scene. A quiet rainy afternoon for slow, sweet lovin'.

As I sit here writing this, it's gray and drizzly outside my window. No deluge, just kind of gloomy. I wish I could say I'm going to curl up with a book, but my "to do" list involves several errands out in the real world... which means I'll have to bundle up (it's 38 degrees here), brave the elements, and be a grown-up. Darn it!

On rare occasions, rainy days can put me in the mood for housework... okay - make that "very" rare. :) Today ain't one of them!!!!

Instead of losing myself in writing the next 20 pages of my current novel, I'm off to shop for a new laptop. I'll let you know how it goes.

So - my dear vamps and scamps - if it's wet and depressing outside your window today, I wish you sweet dreams of hot sunny beaches and hot, sexy men. And if the sun is shining on your head today, smile... do something productive... and spare a sympathetic thought for those of us lost in the fog...

Janice Maynard

6 comments:

Shiloh Walker said...

;) nothing fascinating about my hometown, although walking the streets in the rain with the DH does hold an appeal provided it's a warmer rain than we have now~ it's chilly!

I might even have to turn the heater on if this keeps up.

But I do like rainy days, especially when I don't have to leave the house.

I actually got some work done today. Amazing how that gloomy sky can put me in the mood to write.

Judy F said...

I like not having anything to do on a rainy day. But today I am at work. Darn it

lamclane said...

Thunderstorms are cool especially when the sky gets all scary and the wind howls and you have to hunt down candles... but grey dismal days like today just make me tired.

However, I do remmeber one really wonderful rainy day when we had our boat on Lake Cumberland. Now, normally a rainy day out on the water would really suck but on this particular day we dropped anchor, zipped up the big tarp that was like a big tent and slept the day away with the sound of rain pattering against the boat while rocking gently in the water. I don't think I've ever been more relaxed. My husband and I still take about that lazy day on the lake.

Janice Maynard said...

Wow, LuAnn - that lake day sounds wonderful! Shiloh - I wish I had been productive today, but the laptop shopping sucked me dry. Judy - I guess if you have to be at work, the weather doesn't matter... or does it???

Janice

Lucy Monroe said...

What a yummy way to spend a rainy day, LuAnn. I have to admit, I love rain. It's a good thing because we get a lot of it.

Just the other night three other couples with me and my hubby had a night sans kids at one of the couple's home. It was drizzling, but that didn't stop us from getting into the 8 person hot tub. They started a fire in their outdoor fireplace and we sat around talking for a couple of hours while it rained the entire time. It was lovely. The rain finally stopped and my hubby and my b-i-l got out and made us S'mores with gourmet chocolate. It was fabulous!

I also love walking in the rain, no umbrella...and swimming in the cold ocean in the rain is gorgeous!

Hugs,
Lucy

Anonymous said...

We haven't had rainy weather in so long I've almost forgotten what it's like. Softly falling rain makes me so drowsy I love curling up with a good book in the recliner or outside on the deck. Or lately we've been watching old videos with the kids of when they were younger, and sweeter, and didn't talk back....

We have been caught out on the pontoon in the rain, only our rain was not soft. It came up so fast we didn't have time to make it back to our house. The rain was pelting down and the wind was gusting so even under the top we were soaked and freezing cold. We could barely see through the sheets of rain. My husband finally found a boathouse with no boat in it and we pulled in to wait it out.